Wednesday, May 25, 2011

GBE2 Expectations

Pre-amble:
For those of you wondering what these random blogs are about, I have been a part of a blogging group for about 4 years called the GBE ( Group Blogging Experience).  Folks from all over the USA and other parts of the globe who enjoy blogging and sharing thoughts with each other.
We represent a diversity of ethnic, religious, political and social beliefs but have this in common:
The willingness to listen and respond.

I have met so many folks through this medium, many in person and they have become dear friends who have broadened my perspective significantly.  Our current facilitator is our precious Beth from Chicago who assigns us a word or a topic each week and our homework ( if we choose to accept it) is to blog what comes to mind when we reflect on the subject.  This blog group is open to anyone. Let me know if you have an interest in joining.
--------------------------------------------------------------

May 25, 2011
GBE Topic - Expectations


The world was supposed to end 4 days ago.  At least that's what California based Harold Camping and his followers expected.  When I first heard it, my knee jerk reaction was to chuckle since I am convinced that when the Lord returns ( and I do believe He will), it will be totally un-anounced but at least we had one thing in common - the belief that His return will happen.

I first heard about the apocalypse 2 weeks prior to d-day, which gave me ample time to "repent, amend my ways and prepare to be caught up".  I have to admit I did give it some thought, quite a bit if I'm to be totally honest, but really? nothing changed in my daily routine.

Vic and I would quip back and forth about stuff that was "un-necessary" since we "wouldn't be here past 5/21".  Stupid stuff like cleaning the house, mowing the yard you know, mundane stuff that just sucks up so much time and energy.  We cleaned and mowed anyway.  Nothing changed.

The fact that nothing changed gives me comfort.  My expectation for His return was sealed a long time ago when I gave my heart to Jesus.  Tonight, tomorrow, next year, 100 years from now - I'm ready.
My heart just hurts for those who sold homes, cars and gave up jobs and everything they owned for one mans skewed philosophy.  May God bring restoration and healing to my expectant Harold Camping friends and turn what may have been viewed as perfect nonsense into seeds planted in the minds of those who do not have a relationship with our Father in heaven.

God has a way of doing just that... He takes what the enemy meant for evil and he turns it for our good.  And I expect HE will.

Remember you are loved!

26 comments:

  1. You speak truth. I like you ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. As are you my adopted Daughter. I enjoyed you take on this weeks topic. Like you, I believe only He knows when He is coming. And I don't mean Harold!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a dear friend who refers to his readiness of living well and having accepted Jesus (his belief) as "having my bags packed," which I love. All of us, no matter our belief system, would be wise to reflect regularly on how we are living and make the changes that we feel are necessary to keep ourselves on the right path.

    Nice post, Laurie. :O)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Laurie :)

    I really have missed reading my friends from GBE! I believe as many, that only the Father knows the hour and the day...and we are not to worry about that. I do think we need to be prepared the best way we know how.

    Great post :) Cheers!! Jenn.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hate the fanatical fools that continue to issue dates when the end is suppose to come. No one knows for sure, and none us can do a thing about it if it does. In the bible it says not to worry, so I don't. I have faith that God will watch out for me like He always has. Great blog!!

    Kathy
    http://www.thetruckerswife.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you addressed the so-called predicted Rapture. It was very sad to read how people were taken in by it. Thank you, Friend.
    Love you, Ma---

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sad that people still get taken in by people like Camping. Lives ruined because one man wants his fifteen minutes. I wish I could think that people will learn from this but sadly, they won't and it will all happen again (I think he's now predicting October ¬¬). A thoughtful blog, well written :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for stopping by and good to meet you Mojo. Yes its a shame isnt it? Somehow I dont think he will get much traction with the October date. I seem to recall the story of the boy who cried "wolf".

    The challenge is, it may make some calloused to the fact that He will return one day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Ma! We are well overdue for a phone call eh?
    Hope all is well in Oregon - you guys must be getting ready for foaling season. Kiss Prof and Bri for me and I promise to call you soon okay?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Beth - I'm guessing you are talking about Ralph? Hope he joins the blog group if he hasnt already - Gosh its only been a week and I think GBE2 has over 100 participants?

    You go girl!! excited you took on the challenge :0)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Kathy!!! Good to see you girl! Its been a while since we touched base. I see a random post every now and again on Facebook but not on as much as I would like to... you know how that goes. Good to see you punkin, I'll have to stop by and check out your blog. Big hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Welcome Welcome Peacegirl and pleased to meet you! Glad you liked my blog and I look forward to getting to know you too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sweet Pops... How's the new church going? We need a catch up phone call too. wanna play catch up and see how you are doing. Hope you are taking your vitamins :0) Thanks for coming by... I expected you would - hahahahahaha pun intended!

    Love and big hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey Jenn, as Beth calls it - the GBE2 is just a big love fest - hahahahahaha. Its what I love most about the group - you couldnt find a more diverse group of folks all interested in each other and willing to listen. Love it! Great to see you!
    Hugs


    Montana Lady - hugs right back atcha girl. Hope all is well!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I feel so sorry for people who believe these false "profits" (my word for those who pretend to be prophets). They look for God everywhere but in their own hearts and souls.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This post was as lovely and thoughtful as I expected it to be :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. So true! I didn't give the impending rapture a second thought. Fear is the opposite of faith. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This line, "He takes what the enemy meant for evil and he turns it for our good" hit home for me as we endured some really nasty, downright mean e-mails from my husband's ex-wife today. Thanks for the peaceful message.

    ReplyDelete
  19. right on!! So great meeting you and looking forward to more of your posts!! backatchya! MUAH!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I did make a few jokes out of all the "end of the world" talk and I didn't believe a word of it but I did take some time to think about my life and what is truly important. I have to admit though, I don't think too highly of that Camping guy. To mislead so many people and watch them give up everything they've worked so hard to have? He had to know he was wrong, especially after being wrong once before...either that or he believes himself and needs mental help.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I think when the world ends, we won't see it coming. I've had that REM song stuck in my head for weeks now. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I think everyone gave May 21 some thought! Even if they didn't believe it and though the guy was a little off his rocker (count me among those), the little thought - "but what if he's right and we're all just being naysayers?" - or "who's to say it couldn't happen, coincidentally, on that day?" ran through my mind... Am glad it was unjustified.

    Now time to think about 2012. ;)

    A reminder of the finite probably isn't such a bad thing anyhow. It gives us a good boost to make sure we're showing those we love and care about how we feel.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I too, am ready : ) I expect that day will be one of great joy, because I know I'll be seeing you there *UMAH*

    ReplyDelete